Saturday 31st October 2009

SSEC Senior League Cup 1st Round

Ashtead FC 3 – 8 Fulham Deaf FC

travelled back in time to play Ashtead for the second time in two weeks but on
this occasion it was for victory in the 1st round of the Senior
League Cup, in which the Gaffer, Ayad Sarraf, was looking forwards to a nice
generous free pint from Ashtead manager Geoff Douglas at the end of the match!

that Ashtead had seen our style of play two weeks ago in which FDFC won 3 – 0
in the league match, ‘Ironside’ Beedie and Sarraf decided to switch the
formation back to a basic 4-4-2. Also FDFC had to play Derby Deaf FC the
following day and so there would be some rotation to keep the players fresh for
tomorrow and lessen the injury risk for FDFC’s tough game against runaway
Intermediate Division 2 leaders AFC Cubo next week.

match commenced at 2pm and it was a perfect day to play football on a wet pitch
after the early morning’s rain. FDFC were instructed to keep the ball as much
as possible and did play some decent football early on, with three clear-cut
chances being passed up due to poor finishing. As it was, Ashtead broke the
deadlock when a ball was floated behind the back four and Vorster failed to
clear the ball well enough, allowing an Ashtead midfielder to follow up the
loose ball and run in behind Vorster. He then drove a shot in towards the near
post as Evans attempted to block, and succeeding in hitting it past Roberts in
the FDFC goal to give Ashtead the lead.

block tackle proved to be a painful experience for him as he collided with
Roberts and sustained ankle damage. Both players were treated and soon
continued to take part in the match.

managed to maintain the lead for some time as chances were being missed by the
likes of Lampert, Hogan, Swift, Sellers and Pafe, the latter missing another
clear one on one chance. However, with about ten minutes remaining in the first
half, FDFC finally equalised when Lampert, who played his 157th
appearance for FDFC on the day, thus putting him one game behind Shyloh
Morally, who is currently 3rd in all-time FDFC appearances, delivered a sweet cross towards the outside
of the left penalty area to Hogan, whose lob on the keeper was somehow diverted
away. Fortunately, the ball fell to an unmarked Pafe, who slotted the ball in
for the equaliser.

few minutes later, Lampert collected a great ball from Hogan on the left side,
dummied a couple of defenders and shot the ball into the back of the net with
his left foot to give FDFC a 2-1 lead just before the half-time whistle blew.

Gaffer and ‘Ironside’ expressed how delighted they were to see a lot of
positive ball possession and good football in the first half, but were
extremely disappointed at the number of chances missed. They urged FDFC to
continue playing simple football for the second half.

the beginning of second half, it was clear to see Evans struggled to keep up
with play due to sore ankle, he warned the management that he might need to be
substituted if it got worse. FDFC continued to keep the ball as much as
possible, but once again poor finishing failed to add to the score line until
Mark Gill, fresh and back from a groin strain, replaced Evans in the 60th
minute of the match. Five minutes later, Daniel Ailey was introduced as a
replacement for Pafe, who had worked hard to wear the opposition defence

after, FDFC won a free kick 25 yards out. Ailey took it hit a great shot around
the wall and past the goalkeeper to give FDFC a 3-1 lead. Soon after, a very
miffed Hogan came off for Moore- he didn’t seem to take the substitution too
well, even after being told it was for his protection as he was also coming
back from injury.

amazing lack of concentration from FDFC gave Ashtead two goals to get back on
level terms, the second coming from a monstrous long throw from Ashtead’s
centre half that caused pandemonium in the FDFC penalty area (the first was an
unfortunate McDougall own goal, showing that he REALLY loves playing at
Ashtead!). This left the Gaffer fuming and scrambling around for the valium.

extra time, the Gaffer gave the boys a rollicking for letting the opposition
back into the match and demanded a professional job to kill off the opposition
early in extra time. The talk certainly paid off, with four goals coming in the
first half of extra-time, with two for Ailey to complete his hat-trick, another
for Lampert and an unfortunate own goal when Moore should have finished off a
great cross from the left flank by Ailey. Ailey then scored for the fourth time
in the second half of extra time to complete the rout.

was good to see Henry McDougall making a full debut two weeks after being
knocked out in his first appearance on the same pitch, even if he did score an
own goal on the day!. The Gaffer thought he defended well along with Harding
and Vorster for most of the match, but was not happy with the concentration
lapse towards the end of normal time. Remi Sellers had a solid game in winning
opposition ball and did a good job of keeping the ball under possession in

The Man of the Match award was
awarded without a doubt to Daniel Ailey, who produced a superb performance full
of power to ruin Ashtead’s chances of further progress in the cup. The generous Ashtead manager Geoff Douglas
brought a chilly pint of beer into the changing room to be handed over to
Gaffer’s hand! No doubt he will be get a couple of pints in return when FDFC
entertain Ashtead at home later on in the season.

After the match, everyone set off
for the evening’s entertainment- the FDFC Oktoberfest! Pictures of this event
will soon be on the website…

Final score Ashtead FC 3 – 8 Fulham Deaf after extra time (HT 1 – 2, FT 3 –

FDFC Line-up :- Roberts, Vorster, Harding,
McDougall, Evans (Captain) (Gill 60 mins), Lampert, Burns, Sellers, Swift,
Hogan (Moore 70) and Pafe Mike (Ailey 65)