Saturday 17th October 2009

SSEC Intermediate Division Two League

Ashtead FC 0 – 3 Fulham Deaf FC

FDFC aiming to continue their unbeaten run in the League against Ashtead FC,
the club welcomed back the Gaffer from Detroit
for this important match. Greg ‘Ironside’ Beedie also returned to provide the
Gaffer with additional mobility from the sidelines in his wheelchair.

were forced to make a couple of changes from the preceding week’s match against
RH123 Athletic, with ‘man flu’ victim Lampert being replaced by Waller on the
left wing, and Moore coming back into midfield for Phillip Swift. Ailey came in
for the now-vacant striker’s spot and Simmonds took over Waller’s usual
position on the left flank.

a hard and bumpy pitch unsuited to quick possession football, the game started
poorly to the extent that the neutral viewer probably needed to do a double
take to check that he wasn’t watching a Under-Eight’s match being played, such
was the quality of the football. Ashtead had slightly the better of the opening
exchanges, with a few half-chances coming through to Roberts.

through the first half, FDFC began to settle down. The first goal soon came
after FDFC pressure led to a corner, where a well-flighted ball from Gregory
was met by the hulking figure of Ailey, who crashed a header into the back of
the net from close range.

after, with the midfield starting to gel and with Ailey starting to stay more
and more upfield, a second goal arrived for Ailey with another well taken
header from close range after good work down the right flank from Simmonds and

soon became three when a hopeful ball by Gregory turned into a ‘visionary pass’
(in no-one’s mind except his!) when Willis left his marker for dead and beat
the ‘keeper’ to the ball, and somehow contriving to knock the ball into the
open goal despite looking like Bambi on ice in the process of rounding the
opposition custodian.

after that, the whistle for half-time blew. The Gaffer and ‘Ironside’ performed
a tag-team operation to give the team a well deserved kick up the backside and
urged the need for improved possession in the second half.

no further goals came in the second half; Willis had another chance to score
but chose the wrong option in attempting to round the ‘keeper again when a
first time shot may have been a better option. The only other significant
chance of the half fell to Evans, whose goal-bound header from a near-post
corner was denied by a defender on the line, who somehow contrived to head the
ball up to the crossbar and out. In the meantime, the disappointing Moore was replaced by
Bovino who helped the midfield gain some stability. Willis was also taken off
for Pafe Mike a short while later.

final substitution marked the glorious debut of McDougall, on for Harding, in
the 65th minute. After being on the pitch for all of two minutes,
McDougall was withdrawn from the front line after suffering concussion in a
clash of heads with an opposition player. The fact that he only gained his one
and to this date, only touch of a ball in a Fulham shirt whilst being concussed
at the point of impact was not lost on certain members of the team- perhaps
Henry should be called ‘One-touch McDougall’ from now on! The Gaffer also
confirmed that ‘One-touch’ has just entered the FDFC record books for the
shortest debut in the club’s history!

the set back, which left FDFC with ten men for the last twenty minutes, no
further scores came, thanks to some solid defending from Burns and a couple of
good interventions from Roberts, who has been consistent so far this season.
This could well have been avoided had the Midfield four not kept on advancing
in front of the line of the ball and leaving FDFC exposed to potential

the dust settled on the match, FDFC reflected on another three points and a
performance which left a lot to be desired, and also recognised the generosity
and warm welcome of the Ashtead officials, who even gave the Gaffer a free
pint- something which always cheers him up!

The Man of the Match award was a
close run contest with no-one massively putting their hands up for this game,
but in the end it was given to Gregory for his immense work rate and immense
capacity to miss opportunities on goal- a well-deserved achievement for him.

Final score Ashtead FC 0 – 3 Fulham Deaf (HT 0 – 3)

FDFC Line-up :- Roberts, Vorster, Harding
(McDougall 65), Evans (Captain), Simmonds, Moore (Bovino 60), Burns, Gregory,
Waller, Willis (Pafe Mike, 63) and Ailey.