Saturday 12th March
2011 SSEC Intermediate Division Two League

Cheam Village Warriors FC v Fulham DFC


Before the trip to Cheam Village
Warriors, the Whites camp were looking forward to a tough encounter against a
team whom they had never beaten in five attempts. After a difficult victory
over Westside in the previous week, the boys know they must improve their
performance against Cheam Village Warriors in a game that would prove crucial
in deciding the standings of both teams at the end of the season.


Both the Gaffer and ‘Mad Max’ Willis
decided on making one change from the line up that played against Westside,
with Lampert replacing Gill at left back. Philip Swift and Oliver Monksfield
earned their 49th and 47th appearances, being one and three
games respectively away from reaching a half-century of appearances for the
Whites. The match against Cheam also represented a landmark for Remi Sellers,
playing in his 25th appearance for the Whites.


The lads had been urged to close down
CVW when they had the ball, a tactic which worked effectively for the first
part of the match until a freak goal gave Cheam the lead. The Cheam goalkeeper,
having picked up a shot, rolled the ball out and out under no pressure from the
FDFC backline and unleashed a long ball high over the defence, bouncing in
front of and over the tall FDFC ‘keeper, James Alexander for a highly
fortuitous goal.


The Whites responded to the set-back
by continuing to press Cheam and counter-attacking at every opportunity.
Shortly before half-time, the Whites got their reward after a corner by Hogan
caused chaos in the Cheam box and Swift took advantage, collecting the ball and
striding past a challenge to blast the ball into the bottom corner of the Cheam
goal to make it 1-1. Changes came and went for the Whites before half-time,
with shots from Hogan, Wylde, Willis and Gregory either being well saved by the
Cheam custodian or falling off target.


At the interval talk, both the Gaffer
and ‘Mad Max’ Willis urged the players to continue pressing and to make the
team’s chances count in the second half.
The Whites responded by hitting three goals in a purple patch of ten
minutes after half time. The first came from a terrific corner by Swift, which
was glanced home into the corner by Captain Marvel Jimmy. Soon after, Remi
Sellers crashed through the packed Cheam midfield and defence before
unselfishly laying off the ball to ‘Del Boy’ Hogan to make it 3-1. Soon after,
Willis latched onto a long ball and slotted in a shot past the Cheam ‘keeper,
despite the close attentions of the Cheam centre back.


After the three goal burst had given
the Whites a large cushion, Gill came on for the dazed Harding at around the65th
minute of the match and Josh Wilcox came on to make his debut by replacing
Swift at left midfield. Cheam cam back into the game and pulled one back,
before Willis popped up in the last five minutes to kill off the game and give
the Whites a resounding 5-2 victory.


It was a massive win for the Whites
who finally broke their duck against Cheam to clinch victory and big three
points. Both Gaffer and Mad Max were delighted with the team’s performance and
urged them to continue their efforts and maximise the team’s chances of


Speedster Willis got the man of the
match award for his gritty performance and his ability to put the opposition
back line under pressure for the whole 90 minutes of the match.


Final score Cheam Village Warriors FC
2 – 5 Fulham Deaf (HT 1 – 1)


FDFC Line-up:- Alexander, Lampert, Harding (Gill 65 min),
Evans (Captain), Monksfield, Swift (Wilcox 75 min), Sellers, Gregory, Wylde,
Willis and Hogan.


Unused subs: – Moore, Sarraf