Willis volley


Fulham DFC 1-1 (5-4 pens) Bristol City DFC (on 03/05/2015 – Report by Jason Mycroft)

D.Hogan (Pen)

Fulham DFC were crowned British Deaf Football Plate winners, although we’re taken all the way to penalties by a gutsy 9 men Bristol. In their final minutes of normal time, Fulham managed to score a late penalty to force the game to extra time.

On a typical cold, rainy morning in Edinburgh, two teams battled it out for a chance to make history. While Fulham may have controlled the majority of the first half, Bristol certainly did not make things easy and stuck to an effective game plan.

With the space limited for Jacob Willis and Lee Farrell, clear cut opportunities for the two were few in number. Bristol’s resilience carried them throughout the half, but it was the second half where they would be tested.

With the game deadlocked and without either team truly testing the goalkeeper, that was soon to change. A chain of events starting with an off ball altercation, with Willis being elbowed, saw the referee having no choice but to issue the first red card of the game.

With Fil Kamps temporarily forced off the pitch by the referee due to injury, leaving Fulham short in number. A low hard cross from a Bristol player from the left wing, ended up with keeper Tom Boyle spilling it, with a Bristol player not wasting the opportunity that was given to him for a simple tap in.

With Bristol taking arguably a shock lead, there was no question how they would play out the rest of the game when they found themselves 1-0 up with 10 men.

While Fulham piled on the pressure, time was running out. The introduction of Tom Collard and Daniel Hogan did not seem to faze Bristol, successfully cutting out attacks.

However Bristol’s failure to retain the ball better was to be their downfall. A poor goal kick eventually led to Farrell having possession of the ball in the penalty area. After navigating past the keeper, Farrell still had plenty of work to do, finding himself at an angle where scoring would have been unlikely with the amount of bodies that were in the way.

Luckily the keeper made it easy as he went through the back of Farrell in a desperate attempt to claim the ball. The referee pointing to the spot without delay.

Before the penalty could be taken, another Bristol player was sent off, when he was spotted by the linesman, attempting to headbutt Fil Kamps. This did not distract Hogan who blasted the penalty to his right and forced extra time.

With extra time being uneventful save for a Willis shot rattling the crossbar (see video below), along with Jack Harding heading wide of the goal, it would be down to penalties to decide the winner.

There was no room for error as both teams converted their penalties, some more casual than others. It was only when a Bristol penalty hit the post to miss their penalty could the celebrations begin for Fulham DFC.

With their final game resulting in cup glory, they sign off with a very strong finish to the season. The question that remains is can they improve to ensure more league and cup success for the 2015/16 season.