Fulham DFC 4-1 Sutton High FC (on 04/04/2015 – Report by Jason Mycroft) 

J.Mycroft x2

Fulham asserted their dominance to avenge their earlier loss to beat Sutton High in the second match of the double header. Goals from Jacob Willis, Jason Mycroft with his first two league goals, Jack Harding scoring his first goal for the season was enough to see off the challenge from Sutton High.

Fatigue had hit both sides when they lined up to play the second of their double header with a slight team reshuffle however there was a definite fieriness to Fulham’s approach as they piled on attack after attack in the opening stages of the match. Their reward was to come in the form of a goal when Philip Swift moved into right midfield took an accurate corner for Jack Harding, finding himself free from his marker, drove his header towards the goal to give Fulham the lead.

Fulham looked like a team on a mission as they did not slow down following the goal and their directness was evident with a simple yet effective counter attack which resulted in another goal. Jacob Willis playing an excellent long ball after a Sutton High corner allowed Jason Mycroft freedom to take the ball and then round the keeper for a left foot finish into an empty net.

Mycroft would almost return the favour when he controlled the ball on the right wing and delivered a sublime cross to Willis which head narrowly headed just wide of the post. Willis made up for the miss minutes later when following a cross from Sam Arnold, Sam Evans controlled the ball to then square it to Willis who made no mistake and increased the lead to 3 goals before half time.

The second half consisted with Fulham, comfortable with their lead, simply on cruise control to a victory. Sutton High had no answer and Fulham’s defensive line-up repelled what little offense they could manage. Unfortunately due to injury, a couple of players of Sutton High had to be replaced which may be why Mycroft found himself with little challenge when he flicked in a second goal after the goalkeeper couldn’t control Evans’ shot.

Sutton High did get a consolation goal when their striker snuck round the back of the Fulham defence and flicked on a free kick from deep. This would turn out to be in the last few moments of the game preventing the clean sheet in addition to an otherwise excellent performance from Fulham.