Fulham DFC Women re-wrote the history books with their stunning double victory in the Russell Cup and the Sue Sharples Memorial Trophy, both following hot on the heels of the previous week’s capture of the GLWFL 4th Division Championship.

As mentioned in the speech given by the GLWFL Chair, at the Sue Sharples Memorial Trophy presentation at the end of the 3rd leg of the treble, it was stated that FDFC women had set 4 new records as follows:-

a) The first 4th division team to win the Russell cup (which is competed for by clubs in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Divisions)

b) The first team ever to win both the Russell Cup and Sue Sharples Memorial Cup
c) The first team to win the treble
d) The first team to win two cup finals on the same day.

A great advertisement for Deaf football. The Treble winning girls are rightly proud of their achievements and celebrated long and hard into the night.

Anyway over to each leg of the Treble.

1) Sun 24th May – last league match of season

Garston 4th’s were dispatched 14-0, courtesy of goals from Camilla Willis, Esther Maycock, Mandy Tobin, Premi Pushpalingham & Lydia Docker. This was an massacre, akin to shooting fish in a barrel. Poor Garston 4ths were spared no mercy

2) Sun 31st May – Russell Cup.

Old Actonians LFC Reserves were put to the sword by the most slender of margins, 1-0 thanks to a Camilla Willis strike. The score did not reflect the play, FDFC ladies were guilty of spurning several chances to but the game to bed early on. They nearly paid heavily for this when Old Actonians put the ball in the net, only for the referee to rule it out. This was the spur that was needed to go one up and hold out until the final whistle.

3) Sun 31st May – Sue Sharples Memorial Trophy

Kent Magpies Reserves were our opponents. After spurning a early chance to go one up Fulham went ahead with a majestic 25 yard free kick from Ana Rita. They added to this when Esther Maycock fed the ball through to Camilla Willis who promptly dispatched it into the back of the net. Kent Magpies pulled two back before half time. However amazingly, after nearly 3 hours of football, as opposed to 75 minutes for their opponents, in the last 15 minutes FDFC ladies started to get stronger and stronger and took control of the game. 

A mistake by the Kent Magpies defence gave Camilla Willis the opportunity to put Fulham ahead and add to her not inconsiderable haul for the season. Ashley Savage thenput the topping right on top of the cake, capitalising on a through ball to carry it to the keeper, nutmeg her and put the ball in the back.

The final whistle went, and this was the prelude to pandemonium (in more ways than one.

FDFC ladies were supported by a very large number of supporters who came from far and between to cheer them on, completely overwhelming the support the other teams had.

The success of the teamis, in a very large way, attributable to the hard work of the manager Ryan Pendley, and the head coach Roanna Simmons, herself a player, but recovering from a knee injury. Both Ryan and Roanna carry a lot of the credit and we take our hats off in respect to this dynamic duo.

The squad for the two finals were:

Natasha Ryan, Sammy Jo Hackshaw, Lydia Docker, Susanna Kenward, Victoria Paull-Martin, Eleni Botonaki, Ana Rita Andrade-Gomes, Esther Maycock, Victoria Wenman, Mandy Tobin, Camilla Willis, Premi Pushpalingham, Lorraine Swindlehurst, Dikmaya Pun, Ashley Savage, Pembe Alp

A detailed report on both matches can be found here : www.womenssoccerscene.co.uk/

Photos of both matches can be found on : www.jamesprickett.co.uk