February & March Round up


A number of matches were called off due to exceptionally poor weather
conditions since the New Year. In our first league game of 2010, the Fulham
Deaf 1st team had to travel away to AFC Cubo in Barnes for a fixture
which was re-arranged to a pitch more suitable for schoolboy football.  A keenly fought game on a cramped pitch
ended 6-2 in AFC Cubo’s favour, with Gregory equalising after the loss of a
soft goal, and Ailey grabbing a late consolation goal.

On the next day, FDFC welcomed a Welsh deaf team Llantwit Major
Deaf at FFC’s Training Ground for a British Deaf Cup Quarter-Final. Nick
Gregory opened the scoring with a good finish from a simple build-up. Lampert
doubled the advantage with a 30-yard strike before FDFC conceded a goal shortly
before half-time. The whites finished off the job in the second half as
Lampert, Daniel Hogan, Jacob Willis and Phillip Swift completed a 6-1 rout. The
victory meant that Fulham Deaf are due to play against Glasgow Athletic Deaf,
who orchestrated a great come-back performance against Everton Deaf, coming
back from 2-0 down in their quarter-final to win 3-2. The semi final tie is
scheduled to take place in Birmingham on Saturday 27th March.

In the quarter final of League Senior Cup against the Intermediate
Division One leaders Tooting Bec, FDFC travelled to Ewell East on a very windy
day. An error in formation from the gaffer led to FDFC having to come back from
a two-nil deficit at half-time. With the wind at FDFC’s backs, the second half
was a much stronger performance, with FDFC firmly in control for long periods.
Nick Gregory continued his scoring run with a decent goal from a set-piece, but
that was as good as it got as several chances for FDFC went begging and the
opposition were able to breathe a sigh of relief as it was they who progressed
through to the semi-final at FDFC’s expense.

Two weeks later, FDFC travelled to Caterham to play against
Caterham Old Boys on a hugely wet day. The pitch was surprisingly playable,
which was more than can be said for FDFC’s performance in the first half, as a
combination of a lack of concentration, sloppy defending across the team and a
determined opposition led to a 4-0 deficit at half-time. FDFC could have pulled
two goals back before the interval but Caterham Old Boys had defended solidly
in the first half. The second half heralded an improved performance as an early
strike from Caterham to make it 5-0 was countered by a Willis goal to put FDFC
on the score sheet. Jonathan Evans also had two great opportunities to score
from the crosses, before FDFC gave away another goal. Lampert’s penalty finish
late on provided some gloss to an otherwise disappointing performance and
scoreline as FDFC went down 6-2 in consecutive league games.

Two weeks ago, FDFC had to undergo a long journey to Birmingham to
face Glasgow Athletic FC the following day in the semi final of British Deaf
Cup at Aston University Recreation Centre. FDFC were eager to win the match to
grab their first victory over Glasgow after losing to them by a 0 – 1 scoreline
exactly 3 years ago. Daniel Ailey had a great opportunity to score a hat-trick
in the first 5 minutes of the match, the biggest opportunity being a chance to
sidefoot home a cross from Lampert into an open goal, but somehow the shot
cannoned off the upright and stayed out. Ailey was also denied by a last ditch
tackle from a Glasgow defender a few minutes later after he had rounded the
goalkeeper.  His third chance came very
soon after when he blasted another chance wide of the target. Glasgow made FDFC
pay for their early profligacy as the outstanding PJ Dolan outmuscled Burns to
hammer a long range shot that ended up in the top left corner to give Glasgow a
1-0 lead. Stung, FDFC kept attacking and attacking until Moore equalised with a
goal from the corner set piece, after continued pressure. Further chances were
missed before the interval.

In the second half, FDFC continued to apply a lot of pressure on the
opposition defence chance after chance until Daniel Hogan finally scored a goal
to give FDFC the lead. However, FDFC began to over-complicate things and gave
the ball away too cheaply for long periods in the second half. This gave
Glasgow a chance to get back into the game. Fortunately, Hogan settled matters
by hitting a goal from a corner, and completed his hat-trick with a similar
finish.  A late penalty by Ailey put the
icing on the score as FDFC ultimately ended up 5-1 winners. The result also
means that FDFC will contest the British Deaf Cup Final, which will be played on
Sunday 16th May 2010 Goodison Park, the home pitch of Premiership
side Everton! FDFC are due to play against Doncaster in the final after they
beat St Johns 3 – 2 after extra time.