Saturday 16th
October 2010

Intermediate Division Two League

Fulham Deaf FC v Cheam Village Warriors FC

Fulham DFC welcomed Cheam Village Warriors FC to Motspur Park in
what was the fifth league meeting between the two sides. Given that in the past
four games, Fulham DFC had yet to taste victory, they knew that they were in
for a tough match.

The Gaffer made three changes from the team that lost at
Brockham. Following an injury to regular keeper Sam Kemp in training, he was
forced to trust Daniel Rumney with the gloves between the sticks. He also
brought in Mark Gill and restored the fit again Jon Evans in place of Henry
McDougall and Bryan Moore.

It all started so well as Fulham DFC bossed the game from the
kick off. Early in the first half Mark Gill, playing at right back, took a
quick throw in towards Hogan who was just inside the box. Hogan headed the ball
down for the onrushing Joe Wylde who with his left foot hit a stunning first
time shot, a grass cutter, into the bottom left hand corner. It’ll definitely
go down as a contender for one of the goals of the season.

Later, Hogan had a massive chance to double the lead when he
broke through one on one with the goalkeeper but he elected to shoot wildly
wide when he perhaps could have continued further ahead and rounded the keeper.
Bovino also had two great chances to score, however, he lacked the composure to
finish and shot both chances that came his way over the bar.

Fulham DFC were left to rue their missed chances when Cheam
Village Warriors found a way back into the game and pulled a goal back a minute
before the half time whistle. The Whites were caught ball-watching when a
corner was played to an unmarked opponent who gleefully volleyed home with

Things got worst when early in the second half, Mark Gill, stuck
in possession, tried to play a long ball but instead their left back incepted
and returned a quick pass over the Fulham’s defence. Evans tried to head the
ball back to Rumney and block off their winger’s run but it was in vain as the
opponent nipped in, beat Rumney to the ball and flicked it through his legs
into the empty net for the lead.

The Whites did not have to wait long for an equaliser, as
shortly afterwards, Hogan picked the ball from Swift on the left flank and crossed
the ball low into the area. Bovino, waiting in the area, missed the ball
completely (or maybe it was a clever dummy) but Wylde who timed his run to
perfection was on hand to powerfully sidefoot the ball past the goalkeeper.

In the last 15 minutes, the Whites continued pressing for a
winner and Willis Junior, on for the luckless Bovino, had a glorious chance to
win the game. Hogan went on a brilliant run, left a couple of defenders in his
wake, before sending over a delightful cross to the approaching Willis but from
six yards, he tamely shot straight at the keeper who was then able to palm the
chance away.

At the final whistle, Fulham DFC were again left with that
familiar feeling of a missed opportunity against Cheam Villiage Warriors
FC.  The record against them now reads, five matches, no wins.

Joe Wylde was awarded man of the match. He was easily the best
player on the pitch and deserved the award for his two stunning goals and all
round performance. Joe Wylde is proving to be a big asset for the Whites and
the Gaffer hopes that he can keep up his level of play for the rest of the

Final score Fulham Deaf 2 – 2 Cheam
Village Warriors (HT 1 – 1)

FDFC Line-up :- Rumney, Gill (Arnold 80 mins), Evans
(Captain), Harding, Lampert, Swift, Monksfield, Gregory, Wylde, Bovino (Willis
70 mins) and Hogan