Saturday 26th March

British Deaf Football Cup Semi

Fulham DFC v Belfast DFC at University of Surrey, Guildford


After an excellent victory over St
Johns Arsenal in the previous round l, defending British champions FDFC knew
that their semi final encounter with Belfast DFC would be a stern test of the
Whites’ cup credentials, with Belfast boasting several Ireland internationals
in their line-up. This match was only the third time that the teams have played
each other, the previous two matches going the way of the Whites, back in 2005
and 2006. Without a doubt Belfast were eager to clinch a win over the Whites
for the first time.


The Gaffer and Mad Max plumped for a
line up of Lampert at left back with Harding and Evans playing as centre backs
and Monksfield at right back. ‘Del Boy’ Hogan partnered Gregory at the heart of
the pitch, with Swift and Wylde operating as wingers providing the ammunition
for Willis and Manoochehri up
front. Congratulations to Philip Swift, who marked 50 appearances for FDFC in
this game.


FDFC started off on top, with Belfast
keeper Michael Walsh making two world class saves from headers by Manoochehri
and Willis having a goal disallowed for a minor foul in the build up to the
goal. Walsh was also required to parry a fierce drive from Hogan for a corner
and Swift should have done better with a free kick outside of the box. The
over-fussy referee was blowing the whistle for small infringements and did not
let the game flow.


At half-time, the match was goalless.
The Whites management pointed out that the gap between the strikers and
midfielders were too big and needed to be closed in order to make the team more


In the second half, FDFC’s natural
game faded away, with the midfield unable to keep possession. Belfast took
advantage, scoring a freakish goal after Evans’ attempted block on a Eamon
Byrne cross took a bizarre deflection to scoop the ball over the FDFC keeper
Alexander and into the far corner of the net, despite the block having come
somewhere near the corner flag.


FDFC rang the changes soon after, with
Lampert moving into central midfield to partner Gregory and Hogan moving to
left wing to cover for Swift’s injury. Arnold came in at right back, with
Monksfield moving to left back.
The Whites struggled to find momentum going towards the end of the
match, and it was Belfast who added to their lead, with Watson’s free kick
being met by Brian Babb from close range to give the Ulstermen a 2-0 lead.


Belfast then shut up shop at the back
and FDFC failed to find a way through in the closing stages of the game, which
went the way of Belfast at the full-time whistle.


The Gaffer admitted his errors in
initial team selection but also gave Belfast full credit for their excellent
defensive performance, encapsulated by Michael Walsh, who made four great saves
in the first half to keep the Whites at bay. FDFC wish Belfast all the best for
the final against Everton Deaf which will be played at Oxford City FC’s ground
on Saturday 7th May 2011.


Final score Fulham Deaf 0 – 2 (HT 0 –
0) Belfast Deaf


FDFC Line-up:- Alexander, Lampert, Harding, Evans
(Captain), Monksfield, Swift (Arnold 65 min), Hogan, Gregory, Wylde, Willis and


Unused subs: – Rumney, Vorster, Sarraf