Saturday 23rd
April 2011 SSEC Intermediate Division Two League

Fulham Deaf FC v Tolworth Athletic FC


The Whites knew that the upcoming game against Tolworth Athletic would
be crucial in maintaining the team’s hopes of promotion. With the temperature
hitting 27C for the afternoon and the changing room feeling like a sauna, the
Gaffer and ‘Mad Max’ Willis announced the line up, with Kemp in goal and a back
four of Gill, Evans, Harding and Lampert followed by a midfield quartet of
Swift, Sellers, Gregory and Wylde playing behind Bovino and Manoochehri up
front. Alex Bovino celebrated his 100th appearance for the Whites,
joining the likes of Lampert, Gill, Hogan, Evans and the Gaffer amongst the
current team personnel.

The match started slowly, with the Whites unable to establish much
rhythm and seeing their final passes go astray. However, the Whites eventually
forced some decent chances, with Manoochehri denied by the Tolworth custodian
on more than one occasion. Gregory also had a good opportunity to break the
deadlock, but his heavy touch after being put through ended up in the ‘keeper’s

Soon after, the Whites had a let-off after the Tolworth left back
missed from the penalty spot after Kemp and Lampert had collided with a
Tolworth striker chasing a long ball in the box. The Whites took full
advantage, with Bovino releasing Manoochehri to slam the ball into the net in
the box to give FDFC a 1-0 lead. Tolworth and FDFC had their chances to add
further goals before half time, with Kemp making some excellent saves to keep
the Whites’ noses in front at half time.

The gaffer urged the Whites to close down the opposition quickly and to
improve the quality of their final ball. The heat was proving to be difficult
and counter productive to both teams attempts to maintain a high tempo.

Ten minutes into the second half, Manoochehri hit his second, firing in
a snapshot from outside the box to give the Whites a 2-0 lead. Soon after,
Lampert had to come off through a knock picked up in the collision that
resulted in a penalty during the first half. Rumney replaced him at right back
with Gill moving to the left back position.

Unfortunately, the substitution had a negative impact on the Whites as
Tolworth immediately pulled one back, their striker racing past Rumney onto an
angled ball over the top and smashing
a shot past Kemp. Swift responded for the Whites with a brilliant curled
free kick into the top corner to make it 3-1. However, Tolworth were not finished
yet, with the same Tolworth striker crashing in a second goal to make it 3-2.
Tolworth’s late surge for a share of the spoils was denied by some top-drawer
saves from Kemp and some solid defending by Evans and Harding, who helped to
see FDFC home to a 3-2 win.

The man of the match award went to Kemp, who preserved the Whites’ lead
on several occasions and was a key factor in the team’s victory.

Final score Fulham Deaf 3 – 2 Tolworth
Athletic (HT 1 – 0)

FDFC Line-up :- Kemp, Gill, Harding, Evans (Captain),
Lampert (Rumney 60 min), Swift, Sellers, Gregory, Wylde, Bovino (Jason McLean
80 min) and Manoochehri

Unused subs :- Jermain McLean, Arnold, Lee