Monday 25th
April 2011 SSEC Intermediate Division Two League

Fulham Deaf FC v Merstham Newton FC


After a difficult win over Tolworth
Athletic two days ago, the players were keen to improve on the Whites’ last
performance against Merstham, which ended in a four-all draw. Nick Gregory
achieved his 50th appearance for the Whites in one and half season –


The line up was identical to
Saturday’s, with the exception of Willis replacing Manoochehri. The first
fifteen minutes of the match were fairly even, with both sides trying to play
decent football and to carve out some opportunities. FDFC failed to convert a
number of set piece opportunities and Willis was not quite able to get on the
end of some good early balls. Joe Wylde made an excellent cross on the right
flank, which was headed over the bar by Bovino.

After a flurry
of chances for the Whites, Merstham Newton took the lead with a shot from 35
yards out that cannoned in from the underside of the bar, a stunning goal.
Nonetheless, Merstham Newton’s celebrations were cut short after the Whites
equalised, with Lampert putting in a good cross into the box, where upon Evans managed to get a touch and
force a reaction save from the ‘keeper. Evans then smashed the rebound pas the
‘keeper to bring the Whites back into the match.

A few minutes
later, Willis scored his 31st goal of the season by beating the
opposition keeper. A third goal came for FDFC when Sellers collected the ball
from the corner outside the penalty box and blasted a low shot into the box,
where Bovino was on hand to flick the ball into the net.

3 – 1 to the Whites at half time, the management expressed how
delighted they were with the last half hour’s performance compared to the first
15 minutes and told the lads to stay focussed for the remaining of the 45

However, FDFC took their feet off the gas and conceded a sloppy goal
soon after, with Merstham Newton making it 3-2. Soon after, the opposition,
searching for an equaliser, hit the crossbar. This acted as a wake-up call for
the Whites, who responded soon after with a Swift finish after beating the
offside trap for his 11th goal of the season.

The match was finally put to bed when Gregory beat the offside trap and
unselfishly squared the ball for substitute Jason McLean to side foot the ball
into an empty net to grab his first ever goal for the first team at the age of
16 years and 113 days old. His twin brother Jermaine also made a first
appearance for the 1st team as he replaced the exhausted Lampert a
few minutes from time.

Both the Gaffer and Mad Max Willis were
delighted with the boys who had worked so hard to bag six points over the
Easter weekend and to give the Whites a chance of promotion with the final
league game against Westside the following Monday. The overall performance was
much better than Saturday’s. Harding earned the man of the match award for his
solid defending alongside Evans.


Final score Fulham Deaf 5 – 2 Merstham
Newton (HT 3 – 1)


FDFC Line-up :- Kemp, Arnold, Harding, Evans (Captain),
Lampert (Jermaine McLean 85 min), Swift, Sellers, Gregory, Wylde, Bovino and
Willis (Jason McLean 80 min)


Unused subs :- Rumney, Sarraf