With hardly five minutes gone, Fulham Deaf went behind 1-0 against ten men Westhook after a blunder by Richard Parker who hesitated about coming out to collect the ball. This allowed Westhook to slot into the net from eighteen yards out. What was made all the more embarrassing was that Westhook started with ten men after two of their players arrived ten minutes late due to being 'held up' at the pub watching England triumph against Australia in the Rugby World Cup final.

It was perplexing to see that after Westhook was restored to eleven men, Fulham Deaf started to play football. Rowan Dixon and Andrew Drury were the main threats to the Westhook's goal with Nick Beese close by behind them. Fulham Deaf had to work hard to get back on even terms and their reward came after twenty minutes had passed on the clock with Drury slotting home with a low screamer from the right.

Not satisfied with the equaliser, Fulham Deaf pushed on for more goals and the Westhook's goal keeper kept them in the game with a couple of saves. However Fulham Deaf were guilty of poor finishing.

Mark Gill became the second Fulham Deaf player to be carried off in agony after a horrendous tackle made by the late arriving Westhook player. Ryan Pendley came on for Gill and worked well with Bim Ajadi in central midfield to maintain the pressure on Westhook.

A short corner from Dixon to the near post saw the ball volleyed home by Drury for a goal of the season contender. After the thirty-second minute goal, Fulham maintained control of the game under the never-ending pouring rain to half-time.

After the whistle was emptied of water temporarily and blown to start the second half, Fulham Deaf continued to pile the pressure onto Westhook. The Westhook woodwork was struck three times in the second half to add to the two already made in the first half to Fulham Deaf's disappointment.

The match became a battle of the two midfields with Westhook pushing for an equaliser and Fulham Deaf pushing for a killer goal. Ben Stubbs came on for Oliver Westbury who had what was probably his best performance for Fulham Deaf so far. Neil Fox came on for Ajadi who was on his come back match.

Fulham Deaf piled the pressure with counter attacks and got their just reward when Beese picked up a loose ball reflected from Westhook and powered the ball into the bottom right corner of the net from the left side of the box on the seventieth minute. This killed Westhook off who opted to hold back as if they elected to hold down the deficit.

Still the rain came down hard and the pitch very muddy after eighty minutes play, Fulham hit the woodwork once more before the match was ended by the drowning referee's whistle.

Final score Fulham Deaf FC 3 – 1 Westhook (half time 2 – 1)

Fulham Deaf FC Line up:

Parker, Vorster, Westbury (Stubbs 62), Gill (Pendley 24), Sarraf, Campbell, Drury, Ajadi (Fox 72), Jeffers, Dixon, Beese

Christof Niklaus
Fulham Deaf FC Manager