Wandgas Sports FC 3-2 Fulham Deaf FC

Scorers (assists):

D.Waller (D. Hogan)
J.Mycroft (P.Swift)

Man of the Match:


Fulham playing with a modified 4-3-3 formation got off to a great start and were firmly in control of the game. The attacking trio of Bovino, Mycroft and Swift supported by Hogan, Lampert and Waller constantly harassed the opposition goal and created plenty of great chances in the early stages.

The constant attacking would pay off when Waller pounced on a loose ball courtesy of deflections from a Hogan shot. Waller showing what he offers with late surging runs to provide a threat to the opposition; it was the start that Fulham needed.

With confidence brimming, the second goal came shortly after when Mycroft drifting into the hole received a pass from Swift. Mycroft then curled a shot which sailed into the top right corner beating the keeper.

2-0 up and playing with confidence, Fulham were creating chances with Hogan, Waller all having a crack at goal and coming close. On one counter attack Bovino was played through and beat his first man, only to be brought down by a defender when he was one on one with the goalkeeper.

This led to the first of many controversial decisions when the referee opted not to produce a card from his pockeyMore controversial decisions followed when he rejected penalty appeals for Fulham only to give a free kick to Wandgas FC on the edge of the area. The resulting free kick was blocked by the wall but the follow up shot broke straight through to end up in the back of the net.

The second half did not quite start out the same way as the first. While the defensive line were putting in a fantastic show with their composure, also handling the constant barrage of long balls from Wandgas. Keeper Tom Boyle commanding his area as per usual will be disappointed with how Fulham put up very little resistance when a Wandgas player from mid field was allowed to travel with the ball inside of the box firing a shot which had Boyle beat.

With a two goal cushion squandered, Fulham’s discipline went out the window in many forms. The midfield defensive shape started to break down, players were caught out of position too often and tackles were mistimed. One such tackle from Hogan gifted Wandgas a penalty, which they converted to complete their comeback.

Fulham’s day was about to get worse when Waller -scorer of the first goal- incensed that a free kick wasn’t given when a player went into an aerial challenge with raised fists, retaliated with a rash challenge to earn him his first booking of the day. Waller received his second yellow for a late challenge in the penalty area. Waller did not take it lightly and verbally assaulted the referee. What followed was a bizarre scene with the referee throwing down his whistle and trying to physically fight Daniel Waller.

The following corner was never taken due to the referee blowing the final whistle following his moment of madness.